“Sometimes painful things can teach us lessons we never thought we needed to know.”
Although I may still be very young, still have so much to live for, and even more to learn, these short 20 years have brought me many great lessons and memories. Through the good, the bad, and the ugly, I have learned so much about myself, and I can honestly say that I wouldn’t change anything thus far. I’ve always come back to having countless of moments filled with laughter and smiles that make everything worth it.
In my journal, at the end of a day I write what I call “take-a-way’s.” These “take-a-way’s” come from things such as; what I am studying in my ministry group, bible study scripture readings I relate to, or simply something I am venting about in my journal. Here are 20 of my “take-a-way’s” or lessons that I found worthy for others to be conscious of to have a more captivating and happy lifestyle. The lessons below are all from different seasons/different years in my life so far, and I hope you can find some relatable. 🙂
- Take pictures. A lot of them. People will hate it but document everything you do. One day you will be able to look back and smile or cry or laugh. Memories are everything.
- Having too many friends is never an issue. Be nice to everyone.
- Be conscious of what you say on social media and what you post. It’s sad, but that is a big part of what defines you these days.
- Spend time with your family as much as you can. They are the only ones that always will stay in your life, even if you don’t want them to. And pretty soon, you will move away, or they will be gone.
- Screwing up is part of life, but you will learn from it. However, you first must learn to move on from it.
- Don’t judge the people on their past or their present. Everyone is at a different stage in their life and enduring a new season, be okay with it.
- Things that are worthwhile and worth your time will be challenging. Don’t give up.
- Stand up for yourself and what you believe in. Don’t change the society. Be you.
- NEVER chase a boy and NEVER change for a boy.
- Don’t be afraid to try something different. If you don’t like how things are going, change it, YOU are in control of the path you are on.
- Walking alongside the Lord in this generation and culture isn’t easy, and it never will be. But it will be a rewarding, fulfilling, and joyful journey that gives you unconditional love and support, always.
- It’s okay to be completely confused about life and have no idea what you want to do or where your future is going. But remember, these seasons of confusion can be very powerful for self-discovery.
- Your parents can always tell a fake friend before you can.
- How many likes you get on Instagram is irreverent. Even though this is such an embarrassing statement, many of us fall into this category (guilty as charged). Focus more on enjoying life and less on making it look like you have one. If you want to share moments, share them, but don’t do it for the wrong reasons.
- High school friends, more times than not, aren’t forever friends. And that is sad.
- Don’t be scared to change your major, your college, your roommates, or even drop out. Step out of your “safe zone.” Do what makes YOU happy and remember that this is what is dictating where your life is going. Do not have a regret.
- The boy you were in love with at 16 will most likely not be the one you love forever.
- Don’t keep anything bottled up. Write, journal, vent, something to help you escape.
- Partying gets old. It is fun for the time being, but eventually, you’re over it.
- Love yourself first. You must love yourself before you can ever be loved or put trust in another.
With all that I am,